Fiber optics need to perform reliably, so you must ensure they stay neat and well kept. Avoid getting them damaged by handling them with extreme care. We’ve created a simple guide on maintaining fiber optic cables in good condition without impairing them.
It’s important to know when and which tools and procedures to use for fiber optic cleaning. Just because a cable hasn’t been used, don’t assume there is no contamination risk. Condensation may have developed during shipping. Contamination such as dust particles, food particles, lint, or condensation can lead to downtime. Never forget to clean the end of a fiber optic cable before plugging it into a connector.
Minimize Frequent Preventative Maintenance
Regular preventative maintenance and cleaning don’t need to be completed after fiber optic installation. Fiber systems are built to be installed and left alone unless they are damaged. Although this is the case, issues sometimes arise. Make sure you clean the cables and connectors after resolving the problem.
Beyond necessary cleaning, performing constant maintenance checks can be detrimental. An accidental drop or excessive bending can cause significant damage to many of the fragile components of fiber optic systems. It’s also easy to introduce new contaminants such as dust and dirt into the adaptors and connectors when revealed to the air.
Dealing with fiber optics also comes with safety risks. Safety precautions should always be taken when cleaning fiber connectors. Follow the instructions and safety measures in any tools or products you use during the cleaning process:
- Do not look into the end of an operating optical interface because it has laser radiation that can harm your eyes.
- Do not remove the covers of operating transceivers.
- Make sure the unit power is not functioning during the cleaning process.
- Turn off power and light sources before cleaning optical interfaces.
- Do not alter optical devices.
Taking care of fiber optics means maintaining them clean and well. If any maintenance or repairs must be practiced, make sure the equipment is clean before placing it back in service.
Get in Touch with FiberPlus
FiberPlus has been providing data communication solutions for over 25 years in the Mid-Atlantic Region for a number of different markets. What began as a cable installation company for Local Area Networks has grown into a leading provider of innovative technology solutions improving the way our customers communicate and keeping them secure. Our solutions now include:
- Structured Cabling (Fiberoptic, Copper and Coax for inside and outside plant networks)
- Electronic Security Systems (Access Control & CCTV Solutions)
- Wireless Access Point installations
- Public Safety DAS – Emergency Call Stations
- Audio/Video Services (Intercoms and Display Monitors)
- Support Services
- Specialty Systems
- Design/Build Services
- UL2050 Certifications and installations for Secure Spaces
FiberPlus promises the communities in which we serve that we will continue to expand and evolve as new technology is introduced within the telecommunications industry.