Recommend This Job To A Friend
- Strong background in fiber cabling, to include termination and splicing.
- Installs, tests, maintains, repairs, and upgrades various components of telecommunications systems, to include both equipment and infrastructure
- Assists in and responsible for successful completion of assigned projects within the scope of their work area
- Cares for various types of cabling materials and tools needed to complete tasks
- Skilled in the many facets of the most current installation, termination, and testing procedures for both fiber and copper cabling, with a strong proficiency in fiber cabling
- Run jobs in absence of a Crew Leader.
Essential skills and experience:
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the telecommunications industry.
- Experience in fiber splicing, polishing, and termination includes but is not limited to: SC/LC/ST/FC/MTRJ, fusion splicing, and Splice and Patch Panels.
- Familiar with EIA/TIA-598 Color Coding standards and use of various fiber optics testing instruments.
- Fiber Technicians shall be fluent in reading an OTDR trace bar and Power Meter/Light Source with the ability to interpret results.
- Must understand decibel loss and acceptable readings to customer specifications and expectations.
- All readings must be authenticated and readied for final acceptance documentation.
- Familiar with splicing equipment such as Sumitomo T-37 and Fujikura FSM-30.
- Basic electrical knowledge and the ability to understand verbal and written instruction, as well as to read, interpret, and understand design blueprints, drawings, site prints, cut sheets, and splice matrix and the ability to read blue print pathway installation for cable infrastructure such as raceway, EMT, Ladder duct, tray and ceiling support.
- Able to operate hand and power tools.
- Good interpersonal skills and customer service skills are required.
- Must be able to work in both premise and outside plant environments while working from ladders, lifts, and confined space work may also be required.
- Fiber Technicians must be able to work overtime, after hours, and travel as needed. Must be able to pass a background check and/or have the ability to get a government issued security clearance. A clean driving record is required and candidate must provide a DMV record upon offer of employment. Drug screening is required. U.S. citizenship may also be required.Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent. BICSI certification a plus. Relevant vendor training and certification essential.Physical Demands and Work Environment: While performing duties of the job, Fiber Technicians will frequently be required to stand; walk; sit; bend; stoop; kneel; climb; pull; push; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. They will also frequently be required to lift a minimum of 75 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment usually moderate but can become heavy or high depending on the equipment being used at the particular work site. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills, nor are these statements intended to create a contract of employment between the employee and FiberPlus, Inc.FiberPlus, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer: m/f/d/v/aa